CPAP Machines from Philips Respironics Can Pose Significant Health Risks

Have you used a Philps BiPAP, CPAP machine, or ventilator and developed serious conditions like lung cancer? If so, you may be qualified to file a lawsuit and get compensation for your damages. Not all users of these machines qualify for a Philips CPAP lawsuit, so make sure to consult […]

CPAP Machines from Philips Respironics Can Pose Significant Health Risks

Have you used a Philps BiPAP, CPAP machine, or ventilator and developed serious conditions like lung cancer? If so, you may be qualified to file a lawsuit and get compensation for your damages. Not all users of these machines qualify for a Philips CPAP lawsuit, so make sure to consult an attorney if you qualify before you waste resources and energy.

Reasons Philips Recalled Its CPAP Machines

Philips issued a recall of some CPAP machines because of foam material that could break down and become toxic, possibly causing cancer. Millions of machines were affected by the recall.

The company first identified the problem in April 2021; however, only issued a recall in June 2021. It acknowledged that the PE-PUR foam embedded in their machines could break down into tiny particles that could enter the air pathway of the devices and get inhaled or swallowed by users. Also, it has been found that the foam could emit some toxic chemicals. The company announced that the breakdown could be accelerated when the machine is exposed to high heat and humidity and when cleaned using unapproved cleaning methods. The company advised current users of recalled products to stop using them right away.

Who are the Machines For?

According to Philips, around 80% of the impacted machines are used for helping people with sleep apnea called CPAP machines. Sleep apnea occurs when a person’s breathing stops and starts while sleeping. The other 20% of defective machines are ventilators. Ventilators are life-sustaining machines that pump oxygen into the body to help a patient breathe.

However, the discovery of possible breakdown of the foam material, users of these machines are at risk of developing several injuries that can present serious symptoms such as headaches, coughing, inflammation, throat pain and irritation, dizziness, skin and eye irritation, asthma, and hypersensitivity.

Possible Damages Victims Can Recover

A CPAP lawsuit can include any person who sustained side effects after using CPAP machines. They can recover damages such as medical costs associated with their machine-related injuries, lost wages for work they missed because of their illness and medical appointments, lost future income if the patient cannot return to work because of their medical conditions, punitive damages, as well as pain and suffering. Those who think they have suffered a related medical condition because of using a Philips CPAP machine or ventilator must get in touch with a lawyer as soon as possible. An experienced attorney can review their case and help determine the best legal course of action to take.