Fifteen several years ago, the Division of Defense set up a program to combat sexual assault and rape in the ranks. Due to the fact then, the navy has invested hundreds of hundreds of thousands of dollars on avoidance efforts with a stated plan of zero tolerance. A 12 months-and-a-50 %-extensive investigation by “CBS Evening News” anchor and running editor Norah O’Donnell and the CBS News Investigative Unit into sexual assault in the U.S. armed forces uncovered failures by leaders to deal with the problem. About the study course of the investigation, CBS News spoke with nearly two dozen survivors of sexual assault, whistleblowers who labored for the military’s Sexual Assault Avoidance and Reaction system and family members of suicide victims who say the military grossly mishandled reports of sexual assault.
The subsequent resources are readily available to you if you are in disaster or have been the sufferer of sexual assault in the armed forces:
- For instant assistance if you are in a disaster, simply call the toll-cost-free Countrywide Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-Communicate (8255), which is out there 24 hours a working day, 7 days a week. All phone calls are confidential.
- The Disaster Distress Helpline at 1-800-985-5990 is also confidential, free of charge and obtainable 24 several hours a working day, 7 days a 7 days. You can also textual content TalkWithUs to 66746 to hook up with a experienced crisis counselor.
- DOD Secure Helpline is a hotline dedicated to members of the DOD neighborhood impacted by sexual assault. Safe and sound Helpline provides wholly nameless, private, 24/7 assistance out there on the net at www.safehelpline.org or by contacting 877-995-5247.
- Assistance users or civilians who were sexually harassed or sexually assaulted by a member of the U.S. military can find legal expert services with Guard Our Defenders.
- Provider users trying to get aid can also contact Battle Sexual Assault and Hardly ever Alone Advocacy.